It is in 1589 that the name is mentioned for the first time in the „Vieux Papiers du Libournais", which makes Domaine de l'Eglise the oldest estate on Pomerols famous plateau.
Originally property of the church, it was a hospice for people with a disease that were thus kept out of the city of Libourne. The estate was secularised in the 18th century. Domaine de l'Eglise, as the name is indicating, lies next to Pomerols church, close to Château Petrus. The round, smooth and fruity Domaine de l'Eglise has been among the most popular ones from Pomerol for many years.