As early as 1766 Château Guiraud, breaking with cultural traditions, proclaiming its political difference, and on a constant quest for prestige, was already juggling between anticonformism and innovation.
The Guiraud family of merchants, founders of the modern estate, built up an atmosphere of mystery around Château Guiraud. The Protestant chapel was a proclamation of the family's religious beliefs and their faith at a time when all around them looked towards Rome.
Since that time the property has borne the name Chateau Guiraud and proudly displays a black label that sacralizes the family's Protestant and Republican values. This black label is one of the oldest in the Bordeaux region and has remained unchanged since its creation.
Within three generations the property was to become a prestigious Grand Cru, being consecrated Premier Grand Cru Classé in 1855 in the classification ordered by the Emperor Napoleon III.