With origins dating back to 1638, Léoville was the largest vineyard in the Médoc region at the time of the French Revolution.
Léoville Poyferré springs from various divisions and successions in 1840. Its outstanding quality wines gained early recognition when it was ranked 2nd Growth in the 1855 classification. Château Léoville Poyferré was acquired in 1920 by the Cuvelier family.
The various divisions throughout the history of the estate have split the vineyard of Léoville Poyferré into five large areas. They include all the main types of gravelly soil present in Saint Julien. This diversity contributes to the amplitude and complexity of the Léoville Poyferré wines.